Lightweight Mielenstein Obermayer Image Gallery
See the overview of the Lightweight Obermayers on the previous page.
Some pictures can be clicked for larger views.
Entire wheel view
Spots on the wheels below are raindrops that started just as I began to photograph the wheels.
- Note the marker (sticker) for the embedded wheel magnets, which is placed at about 160° from the valve hole.
- The Lightweight logo text on the hubs is black (my choice) instead of the usual white.
- The center hub has Obermayer indelibly on it.
- The spokes are integral to the wheel; the wheel is literally one single carbon part.
- Each pair of spokes is bonded together where they cross.
Hub and spokes
Observe the way the crossing spokes are bonded with carbon fiber.
Center groove for better, deeper tire fit
There is a subtle center groove to allow the center of the tire to seat more deeply into the rim, for move of a “gloved fit”.
The spokes are an integral part of the wheel, being bonded into the rim. They cannot go out of true, and cannot be trued.
Rim aero height
Rim height is 52mm. The tire extends that further.
Rim width is 20mm.
Spoke length is about 231mm, but with an effective length of closer to 216mm because each pair of spokes is bonded about 15mm from the hub.
The position of the embedded wheel magnet is marked with a removable sticker.
The front skewer is just 21 grams.
On the bike
The Lightweight Obermayers complement the white paint on my Trek Madone 6.9 SSL. For a dark bike, the white logos are probably better, but I like the understated look that does not draw too much attention away from the bike and to the wheels.