2012 Moots MootoX YBB — Build Components
My Moots MootoX RSL 29er was expertly built by Neil at Palo Alto Bicycles, a thorough guy, right down to breaking in new brake pads properly, bleeding the brakes perfectly, etc.
Weight as built
Weighed built as detailed and shown below, with two bottle cages, wrap on chainstay, pedals 4 oz of Stan’s NoTubes sealant per tire.
As weighed ready to ride as shown
On an accurate scale good to 1/10 pound.
By comparison, the Moots MootoX RSL weighs 21.7 pounds with the Furious Fred tires. The difference of 1.9 pounds is the 1-pound heavier Fox 2012 '34' Float 29' suspension fork, the Moots YBB soft-tail mechanism, and the XTR 'Trail' brakes.
Note that the 2012 Moots MootoX YBB is designed for 100mm of fork travel.
Built for heavier duty use, which raises the weight a bit.
- Moots 2012 MootoX YBB frame (18"): 4.25 pounds.
- Easton EC 90 XC 29er carbon fiber wheelset.
- Schwalbe Furious Fred tires tubeless with Stan’s NoTubes sealant.
- Fox 2012 '34 Float 29' suspension fork, factory modified for 100mm travel: 2011g less 19g when cut to fit.
- Moots titanium handlebar (delayed, will use aluminum bar in short term).
- Moots titanium seat post.
- Moots titanium Open Trail stem (147g).
- Chris King headset, pewter color.
- Grips 50g.
- Shimano XTR 26 X 38 crankset and 11-36 cassette.
- Shimano XTR pedals.
- King titanium water bottle cages with Moots bead-blast finish.
- Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle with titanium rails.
Tires: tubes vs tubeless
I went with the Moots Ti handlebar. It offers just a tiny bit of “give”, which keeps my hands happier on longer rides.
Water bottle cages
The frame triangle easily accommodates dual water bottles. I had a 3rd bottle attachment custom-added to the bottom tube in case of really long rides.
The Shimano XTR 'Trail' brakes with resin pads and IceTech heat sinks offers outstanding braking power, even for a 6000' descent.
Shimano XTR 26 X 38 front crankset, and 11-36 cassette.
Where I got the build kit
I bought my build kit at BikeBling.com., in Escondido, CA. BikeBling has a wide variety of cycling gear— give them a try.
BikeBling.com also supplied the Easton EC90 Carbon 29er wheelset, which amazingly is only 10% heavier than the 26" version.