Lightweight, Obermayer, Mielenstein, VR8, Ventoux, Autobahn
I’ve ridden Lightweight wheels now for nearly two years, and for 16,000 miles or so. Just a little experience. Here’s what I can tell you of my own experience:
- They don’t go out of true— ever.
- The spokes don’t break (no nipples, no spokes per se, and the entire wheel is one bonded piece).
- The ceramic hubs remain buttery smooth after all this mileage.
- They don’t fail (except if you whack/cut them on a really nasty piece of cut pavement, which I did to one wheel— Lightweight replaced it under the ServiceUp warranty— try that with another vendor).
- They ride like nothing else. They perform, they are comfortable. Awesome.
- I ride them every day. No “race day wheelset” nonsense need apply on my bike— the Lightweight wheels hold up to severe training and race duty.
The Lightweight Obermayer (now renamed to Mielenstein Obermayer) remains my favorate wheelset (20 spoke front, 20 spoke rear). It offers a stunning combination of performance and comfort like nothing else I have ever experienced (unless you weigh 150 pounds or less, stick with the 20 spoke front wheel, the 16 spoke is more flexy than I prefer).