As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases @AMAZON
2012 Moots MootoX YBB — Overview
While my Moots MootoX RSL hardtail is amazingly comfortable even on rough ground, seated riding and/or carrying a 10+ pound daypack (or gut) means that butt-comfort has some value. As does rough terrain for longer periods. The soft-tail design encourages riding in the seated position for a larger percentage of the time.
That said, my experience with the MootoX RSL hardtail 29er suggests that for many types of trails, rear suspension of any kind is simply overkill with appropriate riding technique and appropriately-inflated tubeless tires. Yet for other situations, some kind of rear suspension short of the complexity and sloppiness of full-on dual suspension can be helpful, hence the Moots YBB soft-tail design makes sense.
- The ideal 29er softtail for a mix of distance adventures—from 24-hour races to multi-day adventures.
- Lightweight, simple and reliable race-proven YBB pivotless suspension design provides up to 1 1/8" of travel at the rear wheel.
- 4 stock sizes ranging from 18’’ to 22’’ to accommodate a wide range of riders.
- 4.25 lbs for 18” frame
- Lifetime warranty on craftsmanship and materials
- 44mm Head Tube, Inset head set.
- 27.2MM diameter seatpost.
- 135mm rear dropout spacing.
- choice of standard or BB30 bottom bracket.
- Through guides for hydraulic disc brake lines.
- 35mm front derailleur clamp (top pull).
- Designed for 100mm fork.
Moots describes the Mooto X YBB 29er
I shall certainly press the MootoX RSL to an epic ride at some point, to see just how comfortable a 29er titanium racing bike can be.
This is our most popular mountain bike, for good reason.
Taking what we have learned in refining the YBB soft tail designed mountain bike for over the last 20 years and adding the platform of 29” wheels has created a dream cross country combination.
Just over an inch of rear wheel travel in conjunction with those big, fast and easy rolling 29” wheels delivers a ride that many categorize as “magical.” Our experience in designing and building 29ers over the last ten years has led to us really dial in the geometry to what we feel creates the perfect ride.
The Mooto X YBB picks off everyday cross country rides with ease and morphs into your favorite all day, 12 hour and 24 hour machine in one maintenance free, no hassle all grin ride.
Built in 4 stock sizes out of our US seamless Pi Tech, size specific tubing as well as custom you are assured a spot on ride, each ride.
Intended use: Cross country ride or race, classic Moots softail in a big wheeled brother.
Frameset and build kit
I bought my build kit at BikeBling.com., in Escondido, CA. BikeBling has a wide variety of cycling gear— give them a try.
BikeBling.com also supplied the Easton EC90 Carbon 29er wheelset, which amazingly is only 10% heavier than the 26" version.