↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
2012 Moots Psychlo X RSL — Build
Related: bicycle power meter, Cyclocross, gear, Moots, mountain biking, Schwalbe, Shimano, SRM, tubular
Discussion continues below.
Custom-built Moots Psychlo X RSL weighing 18.4 pounds as shown above:
- Pyschlo X RSL frame (details above).
- Shimano DuraAce Di2 electronic shifters front and rear.
- Shimano XTR 11-36 MTB cassette.
- Shimano Di2 rear derailleur (details above).
- SRM DuraAce 7950 power meter 50 X 34 crankset (but testing first with Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset).
- TRP Mini V Brakes (no cantilevers).
- Psychlo X RSL frameset with Di2 cable routing.
- Hand-built clincher wheelset (details above).
- Tires vary, see details above. Schwalbe Racing Ralph for starters.
- Ritchey Logic carbon seat post*.
- Ritchey Logic aluminum stem*.
- Ritchey Logic carbon handlebar*.
- Moots bead-blast finish King water bottle cages (2).
- Speed sensor on front wheel + wheel magnet.
- Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle.
- Shimano XTR 'Trail' pedals with guards sawn off (details above).
* Ritchey Logic post and stem are much less expensive and a little lighter than going with Moots titanium, hence an easy decision.
Hand-picked items for Sony.
Custmo Psychlo X RSL frameset with Di2 cable routing holes, no cantilever post, all extras removed since there is only one (1) external cable to the rear of the bike, for the rear brake.
All extraneous frame braze-ons removed for an ultra-clean look (no cantilever brake post, no cable routing for shifter cables!). A little lighter, a lot more elegant.
While I am a very strong rider, gearing is still critical for the steep hills I ride, which can be up to 20% grade. Therefore, I am going with a 50 X 34 chainring and an 11-36 MTB cassette, for a friendly gearing ratio of 34 X 36 for those steep hills.
50-34 X 11-36
The initial build used the Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset 50 X 34, but that crankset is moving to my Moots Vamoots RSL (with SRM power meter spider for Cannondale, the goal being the lowest possible weight). The Psychlo X RSL will then be fitted with the SRM 7950 power meter crankset.
16GB / 2TB SSD / 2.9GHz / 4GB GPU
Apple Refurbished, Factory Sealed
Apple 1 Year Limited Warranty
I had a handbuilt clincher wheelset built at Palo Alto Bicycles. All weights in grams. This is a lightweight wheelset with some compromises: aluminum nipples, light weight rims. See the full wheel build details.
A similar wheelset, but with tubular rims is planned for later in the spring. My preference is tubulars, except when traveling and riding in remote areas.
For those with unlimited funds and racing inclinations, consider the Lightweight Standard tubular carbon fiber wheelset, which would drop more than a pound off the bike weight.
For the clincher wheelset, Schwalbe Racing Ralph HS 425 Evolution 33-622 700 X 33C (320g) Black Skin.
Protect your data with fast storage and backup.
Don’t buy lower performance for more money!
Diglloyd consulting starts you out on solid footing. 🖥
Cantilever brakes are a dangerous idea on the hills I ride, and just plain no fun— cantilever braking is noisy and very inferior to road brakes (cantilevers are good for slowing down and that’s it). Mini V brakes with their much superior braking power are appropriate for my usage— I am not planning on racing in thick mud, mud clearance being the only justification that I am aware of for cantilever brakes.
I wanted as solid a shoe platform as possible, so I went with the Shimano XTR 'Trail' pedals, which have a wider platform for better support, but also aluminum guards around the pedal body. These guards are not needed for my cyclocross use, so I had the pedal guards sawn off (!), reducing the 374 gram pedals to 335 grams (for comparison, 'Race' pedals are 305g, previous XTR pedals are 325g).
Shimano DuraAce Di2 rear derailleur modified with custom machined cage for use with Shimano XTR 11-36 MTB cassette. Derailleur weighs 242 grams after modification.