↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Mercedes Sprinter Maintenance: Fuel Economy (Miles Per Gallon / MPG)
Photographer and cyclist and Mac expert and software engineer Lloyd Chambers is available for consulting on general Sprinter considerations at his usual consulting rates via phone, or in person in the Palo Alto, CA area. Save yourself hours and mistakes by discussing issues up-front. More about Lloyd....
The 3.0L 6-cylinder engine in the 2017 Mercedes Sprinter is highly fuel efficient, meaning that given the 5140 pound weight of an empty cargo van and the frontal area of the High Roof Sprinter, the mileage is remarkable.
Mileage numbers will vary greatly depending on load, altitude, driving style, total vehicle weight, etc.
Observations with a brand-new 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 3.0L with total cargo (including driver) of about 400 pounds (total weight of ~5540 pounds):
- The analog fuel gauge is highly inaccurate for the first several gallons used from a full 26.4 gallon tank—it still reads full after using 3 gallons. Distance to empty can help, but don’t get too excited about this misleading behavior.
- Driving from 4000 to 10500' elevation for 13 miles, mileage was 10.8 MPG. That’s low, but it’s a far sight better than the 7 MPG or so that my 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo delivered for me with its twin turbo 5.0L V8 engine.
- Idling appears to take very little fuel.
- There was never any diesel smell; the Sprinter engine is extremely clean-burning even at 11,500'.
- Power output at 11,500' elevation was minimally affected due to the turbo. Other SUVs are having a lot of trouble up there, but not the Sprinter.
During the breaking-in period, mileage as shown below was observed. This is as per the engine management system, not miles versus fuel-tank refills so the figures assume that the engine management system is reportingcorrect figures.