↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Phase 2: Hickory Butcherblock Table
This page speaks to proposed desk/table in Phase 2.
Shown below is a 48 X 29 X 1.5 inch HICKORY EDGE GRAIN BUTCHER BLOCK COUNTERTOP for my table/desk finished in Acrylic Urethane Flat 5-10 sheen—lovely. Great prices and top grade quality from https://www.hardwood-lumber.com—the table arrived in flawless condition. And they’ll do custom work too.
Quality from hardwood-lumber.com is terrific at a very reasonable price given the custom work. The shipping was relatively expensive as it is very heavy (~125 pounds) and had to ship half way across the country.
I’ve seen many fancier Sprinter interiors, but I have yet to see anything of this quality, usefulness strength, durability and beauty. Most Sprinter installs minify everything so there are no good working surfaces. [And you can be sure the particle board crap that is installed in most Sprinters is about 1/10 as strong and with annoying sharp edges.]
I wanted something beautiful in my Sprinter (if only just one thing!) and this is it. I challenge anyone to show me a better looking table of similar size that can support 500 pounds and mount dual 2000W power inverters under it, and so on. Plus, I had a round hole drilled at table rear (not shown) so that cables can pass through with less cable mess.
ADF Sprinters custom fabricated the powder-coated steel legs (front only) and a heavy duty aluminum rear support. The table itself weighs roughly 125 pounds— hickory is the hardest and densest American hardwood. And yet I have already put a few dents into it by metal objects falling onto it. Other woods would surely dent far more easily.
Scroll down for more.
- The space betwen the mattress (atop the Yeti cooler) and the table edge is not useful when open; the pillow tends to slide into gap. Plus the iMac 5K is jammed right to the edge of the table at left. Making the table 48 inches wide addresses that issue. Dimensions: 48 X 29 X 1.5".
- Table surface height must precisely right (TBD, but probably 29 or 30 inches high).
- Tabletop has been ordered in hickory with bullnose edges (except rear) and 4" radius all corners. Install in late March. Optical mouse pre-tested and OK on hickory.
- Table legs must be strong, but no exposed metal: metal is very uncomfortable on flesh when sub-freezing. UPDATE: I changed my mind on this and went with powder-coated steel so that I can magnet-on things to the table legs. If they become cold, I can wrap cloth or something around them.
- Legs should be inset somewhat (~5 inches), not too close too cornes of table. Left front leg serves as barrier to tripods rolling around.
- Mount table at wall in sorbothane-lined groove to isolate vibration? Yes, this was done.
- Should there be 1/2" sorbothane under table legs and at connection at wall? To reduce vibration on table, including with idling engine. No, not done. Just bolted on rock solid.
- Does the table abut the wall exactly or have a slight standoff? Fits tightly but the metal is curved there.
- REMOVE the AC outlets seen on the wall; these get in the way and the battery needs to go there.
Reasoning it out
This stuff before I had the table settled on.
The 44-inch length of the temporary table has proven to be a bit too short for both the iMac 5K and the NEC PA302W 30-inch display, forcing the iMac almost off the table. Also, the pillow tends to slide forward into the gap.
Extend the table by 4 inches to 48" long to address both issues. At the rear near van wall, consider 6-inch-wide by 12-inch deep cutout to allow access to space there.
REMOVE the AC outlets seen on the wall; these get in the way and the battery needs to go there.
$719 SAVE $560 = 43.0% Apple 12.9" iPad Pro (Mid 2017, 512GB, Wi-Fi + 4G LTE, Space Gra… in Electronics: iPads and Tablets
$699 SAVE $450 = 39.0% Apple 12.9" iPad Pro (Mid 2017, 512GB, Wi-Fi Only, Gold) in Electronics: iPads and Tablets
$5399 SAVE $900 = 14.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid 2018, Space Gray) in Computers: Apple Macs
$899 SAVE $400 = 30.0% Apple 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K Display (Mid 2017) in Computers: Apple Macs
$1049 SAVE $450 = 30.0% Apple 21.5" iMac with Retina 4K Display (Mid 2017) in Computers: Apple Macs
$7995 SAVE $3720 = 31.0% Leica Leica SL (Typ 601) Mirrorless with 50mm Lens Bundle in Cameras: Mirrorless
$40 SAVE $60 = 60.0% myGEKOgear P500 1080p Dash Cam with 8GB microSD Card in All Other Categories