Signed up for Double Centuries: Devil Mountain Double and Alta Alpina
As rigorous pre-flighting of the 2012 Everest Challenge (29,000' — September 28/29, 2012) which I aim to win in M45-54 Master category, I’ve signed up for two of the toughest double centuries available:
- Devil Mountain Double, 18600' climbing — April 28, 2012.
- Alta Alpina Double 20,300' — June 30, 2012
- Trek To the Summit of White Mountain Peak (~16,000', MTB)— date TBD (not a double, but ascent to 14,252' with far steeper grades).
After Alta Alpina, I figure training gets more and more specific and rigorous, so I have no plans to do any major road events after Alta Alpina and before Everest Challenge except that the Trek to the Summit of White Mountain Peak (mountain bike) is terrific high-altitude training that demans high torque and power output.
Other double centuries or long ride
See also the list of California double century events along with the California Triple Crown (3 double centuries in a year).
- Death Valley Spring Double, 9000' — March 3, 2012. Already sold out. Crap.
- Solvang Spring Double, 7500' — March 24, 2012. 193 miles.
- Hell’s Gate 100 — March 31, 2012. A long drive for me (1000 miles round trip), so probably will skip this one.
- Davis Double, 8400' — May 19, 2012. Annoying email list for signup, not open yet apparently. I likely will do it.
- Sequoia Century 200K, ~10000' — June 3 2012. Local, will likely do this one.
- Death Valley Fall Double, 9100', October 27, 2012. Maybe will do along with a photo tour.
There is always the solo Furnace Creek 508.