Double Centuries and Killer Rides for 2012
As rigorous pre-flighting of the 2012 Everest Challenge (29,000' — September 28/29, 2012) which I aim to win in M45-54 Master category, I’ve signed up for several double centuries, starting with the no-so-hard but beautiful SSD:
- Death Valley Spring Double, 9000' — March 3, 2012. Completed.
Sold out, but I completed it self-supported on the same day. On the Moots Psychlo X RSL with 700 X 28C road tires.
- Solvang Spring Double, 7500' — March 24, 2012. 193 miles.
- Devil Mountain Double, 18600' climbing — April 28, 2012.
- Sequoia Century 200K, ~10000' — June 3 2012. Local, will likely do this one.
- Alta Alpina Double 20,300' — June 30, 2012
- Trek To the Summit of White Mountain Peak (~15,000', MTB)—mid July.
After Alta Alpina, I figure training gets more and more specific and rigorous, so I have no plans to do any major road events after Alta Alpina and before Everest Challenge except that the Trek to the Summit of White Mountain Peak (mountain bike) is terrific high-altitude training that demans high torque and power output.
Other double centuries or long ride
See also the list of California double century events along with the California Triple Crown (3 double centuries in a year).
- Hell’s Gate 100 — March 31, 2012. A long drive for me (1000 miles round trip), so probably will skip this one.
- Davis Double, 8400' — May 19, 2012. Annoying email list for signup, not open yet apparently. I likely will do it.
- Death Valley Fall Double, 9100', October 27, 2012. Maybe will do along with a photo tour.
There is always the solo Furnace Creek 508.
The photo below is from last July’s hard-as-a-double Trek to the Summit of White Mountain Peak. I’ll be doing it again this summe.