CDC: Obesity, Race/Ethnicity, and COVID 19
Wy weren’t early, often and loud warnings promulgated about obesity?
CDC: Obesity, Race/Ethnicity, and COVID-19
Obesity Worsens Outcomes from COVID- 19
Adults with excess weight are at even greater risk during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Having obesity increases the risk of severe illness from COVID-19. People who are overweight may also be at increased risk.
- Having obesity may triple the risk of hospitalization due to a COVID-19 infection.
- Obesity is linked to impaired immune function.2,3
- Obesity decreases lung capacity and reserve and can make ventilation more difficult.
- A study of COVID-19 cases suggests that risks of hospitalization, intensive care unit admission, invasive mechanical ventilation, and death are higher with increasing BMI. The increased risk for hospitalization or death was particularly pronounced in those under age 65.
- More than 900,000 adult COVID-19 hospitalizations occurred in the United States between the beginning of the pandemic and November 18, 2020. Models estimate that 271,800 (30.2%) of these hospitalizations were attributed to obesity.
WIND: it is vanishingly rare to see such powerful correlations, yet the government remained silent on “obesity kills” messaging, as well as targeted actions to protect at-risk people.
Was it 'woke' correctness, or just the usual incompetence?
And what exactly is a COVID death when the root causes usually include obesity? The CDC changed the reporting guidelines for COVID and only for COVID in an utterly anti-scientific ways. Better for the narrative, but at least the truth is out that obesity is a major risk.