Testing for magnesium deficiency is perhaps a waste of money since it is just smarter and easier to go directly to magnesium supplementation, given that the modern diet is highly deficient in magnesium, and the body quickly excretes any excess.zz
However, a test might be of interest and of some value in justifying magnesium supplementation to a wary physician who knows nothing about it.
If a magnesium test turns up a deficiency, other nutrient deficiency issues might be present as well, so think in terms of total nutrition since fixing one deficiency may leave others unaddressed. Optimal health requires full nutrition; no single nutrient can do that—see Health and Vitality Start with getting Key Nutrients.
Things you should know about testing for magnesium deficiency
You get get a magnesium RBC test at RequestATest.com.
- The best available test is the magnesium RBC test. It is not as good as the ionized magnesium test, but it correlates strongly and the ionized magnesium is generally only available in research labs.
- The serum magnesium test is highly misleading and unreliable. It an show high serum levels even with extreme tissue deficiency. You should either politely educate this doctor or find a different doctor, because s/he is working out of gross ignorance.
Things you should know about medical doctors and the medical establishment
- Very few doctors have significant training in nutrition. Medical schools just don’t bother.
- Few doctors are even aware of magnesium deficiency. Or the massive public health crisis that magnesium deficiency causes just in the realm of cardiovascular health, and that is the tip of the iceberg.
- Sadly, in my own experience, many doctors have stopped learning and have little interest in prevention and cure and have an attitude of nothing to learn from their patients.
- Most doctors take what they learned in some fixed medical textbook as more inviolate than the Bible. If it isn’t in there it doesn’t exist. If it is in there, it is The Gospel. This situation is a disaster for patients, particularly with older doctors who have not made the effort to continue training throughout their lives.
- Magnesium Supplementation Personal Findings: Brain, Lungs and Asthma, Sleep, Urinary Flow, Muscle Spasms
- Magnesium Deficiency — “BMJ: just 6–12 weeks of strenuous physical activity can lead to magnesium deficiency”
- BMJ: “Subclinical magnesium deficiency: a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis”
- Magnesium Intake Is Inversely Associated With Coronary Artery Calcification
- Your Doctor is NOT Responsible for Your Health—YOU Are! Recommended Reading to Open Your Mind and Ask the Right Questions, Because Your Life Depends On It
- Health and Vitality Start with getting Key Nutrients.