↝ OWC / MacSales.com... ↜
↝ diglloyd Deal Finder... ↜
Buy other stuff at Amazon.com...
Up to 128GB for 2019 iMac 5K!
Up to 64GB for 2015/2017 iMac 5K
Save nearly 50% over Apple pricing
Four Horsemen of the Solstice Double++ Century
Related: double century, Equus ferus, Everest Challenge, Hard Core, Rides
The Four Horsemen of the Solstice is an event lasting 24 hours covering ~250 miles and 30,000+ feet in elevation gain.
On the summer solstice (June 21) of course.
Download the application for Four Horsemen of the Solstice.
It’s longer than a double century and shorter than a triple century, but it might be fair to categorize it as triple century because of the elevation factor.
In a nutshell
Anyone considering the Four Horsemen should have completed at a minimum the Everest Challenge and Alta Alpina 8-Pass Challenge because the type of climbs and riding are very similar. Throwing in a self supported MTB ride as in Trek to the Summit of White Mountain Peak would be a good plus.
- Extreme event, with tup to 24 hours allow for completion. For anyone who thinks the Alta Alpina 8-Pass Challenge is not enough for one day.
- Covers some of the same territory as the Everest Challenge but with more mileage and more ascent than both days of the Everest Challenge, e.g., 30,000+ feet.
- Includes some short dirt-road sections, so tire choice matters.
- Acceptance is not a given and must be approved; application requires listing past experience and extreme events.
- A supported event (food, water, crash pad, batteries), but requiring self-sufficiency on clothing, repairs, etc.
- Front and rear lights required for dark hours.
- Runs rain or snow or shine.
Expectations and details
As per Anti Gravity Cycling:
- The full Race Rules, including detailed Route Directions and Time Schedule, will be available at the Start Location on Friday, June 20, 2014, noon or later.
- The ride will begin early on Saturday June 21, and last 24 hours. The 2014 ride will be in the Bishop, CA area.
- No, it is NOT the Everest Challenge in 24 hours. But EC veterans will recognize some of the scenery.
- Registration opens on 3/1/2014 and will close when a suitable number of qualified applicants have been accepted. No applications will be accepted after 6/1/2014.
- The Four Horsemen of the Solstice route is HARD. More than 200 miles, but less than 300, with a ton of climbing. Also some strade bianchi. Yes, that is Italian for dirt roads.
- The Four Horsemen of the Solstice ride is a solo, non-stop event. Riders are not allowed to have support crews, or outside help of any kind. Riders may bring friends and family with them, and those people will be enlisted to help all racers at the Official Checkpoints.
- You will be able to complete the event with a minimum of equipment. Your road bicycle in excellent working order, at least two taillights and two headlights that can go at least 12 hours, a digital camera with SD card that can be read by our laptop computer, and suitable kit for ALL kinds of weather. The route is difficult, but all paved. Except where it isn't. 25mm Gatorskins with heavy tubes or the equivalent are recommended. Tool, several tubes, pump or CO2, etc.
- You will need kit for all conditions. If you have ever ridden all night in the cold rain, you know it is worse if you are poorly dressed. Expect temperatures from 30F to 110F (0C to 45C). We will carry drop bags to the Checkpoints if you like. Yes, it could certainly snow.
- AGC will provide food and water at Official Checkpoints. Although you may want to stop more often, we will have enough Checkpoints to keep you going without anything else.
- Yes, we will rescue you if you break down. If we can fix it, you can still continue in the event. But NO outside help is allowed at any time. We will try to take very good care of you, as we do at all AGC events. We will be on the course at all times.
- Checkpoints will have Hammer Nutrition products, as well as water, bananas, oranges, pretzels, PB&J, etc. Special dietary requests? Let us know what you want. We will not let you go hungry.
- You must complete the entire course, documenting your progress with digital photographs, without outside assistance, according to the Official Rules, and within the time allowed, to be an Official Finisher. There will be awards. And the jersey.
- Sooo...what do you get for your money? Support while on the course. Dinner June 20 at the Start Location. Pasta, salad, fruit, etc. Food, drinks, snacks during the event. A place to crash, shower, and stash your gear during the event. Spare AA and AAA batteries, tubes, generic stuff. Finisher Awards to Official Finishers. Starter Jerseys to ALL RIDERS, to show our admiration for having the guts to show up. Nice jerseys, made in the USA. Serious Bragging Rights.
For an application form, contact Steven Barnes:
20% off every day with coupon code diglloyd20 at NuLeafNaturals.com
100% organic non-GMO, no additives or preservatives, lab tested for purity and quality.
$699 SAVE $450 = 39.0% Apple 12.9" iPad Pro (Mid 2017, 512GB, Wi-Fi Only, Gold) in Electronics: iPads and Tablets
$5499 SAVE $800 = 12.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid 2018, Space Gray) in Computers: Apple Macs
$2549 SAVE $300 = 10.0% Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (Mid 2018, Space Gray) in Computers: Apple Macs
$7995 SAVE $3720 = 31.0% Leica Leica SL (Typ 601) Mirrorless with 50mm Lens Bundle in Cameras: Mirrorless
$1000 SAVE $500 = 33.0% Westone W80 Eight-Driver True-Fit Earphones with ALO Audio and M… in Electronics: Audio