Hydration was a huge factor on Schulman Grove— drinking 2 liters of water on a 2:26 climb left me dehydrated due to the 100° temperatures and hair-dryer wind at the bottom of the climb, with notable impairment by the summit. Definitely a 3 liter climb for me in such hot conditions.
New Everest Challenge pages and climb photographs
I have added new pages, one for each of the climbs to my 20-page writeup on the Everest Challenge 2-day Stage Race, including photographs on some of the climbs.
- Everest Challenge climbs with overall route map
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Rock Creek
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Pine Creek
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Bishop Creek / South Lake
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Glacier Lodge
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Death Valley Road / Waucoba Canyon Rd
- Everest Challenge Climbs — Schulman Grove
- Everest Challenge Stage 1 Directions
- Everest Challenge Stage 2 Directions
- Everest Challenge Rest Stops (2011)
Photography while cycling
Image below taken with the Sony NEX-5 and Sony 16mm f/2.8 lens.
A 16mm lens (24mm equivalent in full frame terms), allows easy self portraits while riding, though it makes the background shrink away, and is thus a poor choice for recording the beautiful scenery— one ends up with mostly pavement, and tiny mountains. A 35mm equivalent is much better for scenics, while still allowing self-portraits.